Tuesday, January 28, 2014

ACW Battle - 6mm Adlers using Hidden Movement

Ok, this battle was done over 10 years ago, using my old 6mm Adler ACW collection which I have long since sold. We used Piquet's Hallowed Ground supplement and I designed it for hidden movement, which made for excellent fog of war.

The Union ended up winning the battle, but it was nip and tuck most of the way.

I used my custom terrain boards I made from scratch with the assistance of Jim Brokaw in the mid-90s. Most of the table was covered with forest (didn't have enough trees to my liking, but hey, what are you going to do) with several clearings and crossroads critical to victory.

Union regiments were blue painted balsa wood until put on the table.  The smaller blocks were artillery.


Spliced together photo showing Union brigade moving towards an Confederate speed-bump.



Rebs taking up a central position. Each side moved in secret, as the other side went out of the room. I was the umpire so I put things on the board when they became close enough.



Union cavalry charges Rebs behind a fence line, the proceed to pull a Heroic Melee Resolution! Awesome!


With the Reb regiment scattered the Rebel guns open up on the cavalry.


Nice view of the rebel side of the table.




Notice when the Yankees are moving they can't see the Rebels, because I removed the balsa wood markers in between each side's movement. This led to tons of tension, just as it should be!


Yankees: When are we going to find those blasted Rebels?!!






Confederate cavalry charging in skirmish formation against a Yankee regiment.






Finally each side starts to see the other


Since we were using 6mm figures, I was using reduced size rulers. I think I just cut the ranges and movement in half, but since I just used reduced size rulers (photo copied to the correct length) the charts didn't need to be changed. No advanced math skills needed here.




Players needed to designate what formation they were in while moving through the woods, which lead to some unfair situations. :-)






Massive flank attack as Union troops stream out of the woods and into the rebel lines!


Rebels routed unralliable (double reds)


Nice photo of a charge by the Yanks against a rebel regiment.



Things got thick in the woods as unit after unit was engaged in very close combat.


Yankee guns and rifles shatter a Rebel regiment.




Yellow markers mean "out of command", which causes all sorts of command and control problems.




Here you can see some rebel units are still hidden and moving through the woods to the sound of the guns.




Wish I could have remembered more about this battle, but it certainly was a ton of fun!

Eric

2 comments:

  1. Nice use of hidden movement with the balsa wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit reminiscent of the "blinds" in LFS, but obviously taken to a much greater degree.

    ReplyDelete